Wednesday, May 19, 2010

You are not alone!

I was reading a friend's blog just. She gave birth to her firstborn in March. Barely 2 months into the birth, she is having problems communicating with her mother-in-law on the upbringing and handling of the baby boy, basically differences in opinions.

This brings me back to 2 years ago, when Kae was born. I wonder if all women face the same problem: the mil. We have been brought up by our mothers in the same era as when our mils bring up our hubbies. So their methods or beliefs do work. However, as time evolve, new discoveries and methods have also been proven to be more effective and the older ways and teachings no longer hold water.

I won't dwell into the differences in opinions that occur 2 years ago. But somehow, it always stem from the in-laws' side. My own parents, I can just chide or brush them aside as they are my own parents. They usually just give up after 1 nag. But I can't do the same to the in-laws. Hence the unhappiness.

I guess my friend is feeling the same now. We do want to insist on our ways and methods now as this is our own baby we are talking about, and we want our own baby to be treated the way we want. And not by some old fashioned method which are seriously, in some casess, unhygenic and so not scientific.

I cannot imagine though I have to go through what she is going through again. I suspect I will flare up this time round as I am not a fan of repeated nagginess. Stop with the dry rice without soup already!

Then again, my own mum may well be the problem this time round as she is staying with us and helping me out for the confinement. God help me! I swear I will flare up and not give face if the 2 women gang up on me. Hah!

1 comment:

  1. wei ling9:30 AM

    haha, i guess lots of DIL have problems with MIL =) but i have learnt to take it easy the second time round. If it is really no big harm, I just close one eye. If someone offers to feed the milk or change the poop and let me rest, i will be more than willing to =) you need plenty of rest with two now! Also kae *may* have some jealousy issues and needs lots of your love and reassurance ;P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...