Monday, September 13, 2010

of Friendships lost and found

I was out for brunch with my secondary school friends from the netball team on Sunday.

We went to Epicurious at the Quayside to try out their brunch. But in the end, I think we all ordered from their lunch menu. As I've hungrygowhere.com them before I went (now I always do this for any new eating place), and their reviews for their brunch (or the cafe itself) is not that fantastic. The service sucks, the ambience is so so, the food is average. My cup of mocha looks like a cup of milo to me. And as for my burger, I though that the meat patty was not very well cooked and the quality of the meat doesn't taste very good to me. How can anyone go wrong with a burger order?


Okay, that is not the main point of this post.

The main point is, I am glad that though we may have lost contact with one another after we leave our mutual school, our mutual organization, we still keep in touch once in a while and still meet up.

Life is funny at times. We came together for a reason, be it school mates, class mates, work colleagues, hall mates, and we drift apart for the same reason; when we leave the school, the class, the work, the hall. And if the timing is right, and most recently, if you are on Facebook, it is easy for you to reconnect as friends if all parties make an effort.

Seriously, it is so much easier now to hook up with friends, even long lost ones nowadays. Everyone is on the social platform. We just send a message via FB, and voila, a lunch date has been set. It wasn't so easy in the past, when we has to send smses to everyone and wait for every individual to reply. And if one date or place is not ideal, the whole sending process has to start again.

So, I have been meeting up more regularly with my friends recently. That is, if I can tear myself away from family.

I think the renewed connections with my old friends may also have something to do with motherhood. I am of the age whereby some of my friends have kids or are intending to, or having kids. This phase in life can actually bring us closer. Like for example, Mama Jo from my hall days. I haven't been keeping in touch with her since year one in uni. And yet, because of our 2 girls whose birthdates are like 11 days apart, we have been keeping in touch and meeting up more regularly than I can say for some of my older friends. And I am thankful for this renewed friendship. Same goes for my girlfriends whom I met over the weekend. Yes, we've been meeting up once in a blue moon, but because 2 of them have become mothers recently, we have been keeping in touch more frequently, even with those who are not yet pregnant.

I always believe that fate has a part to play in friendships, and not just for lovers. We become friends because we happen to be in the same place at the same time for the same reason. And it takes work and effort in making your friendships work and last.

So thank you to all my friends from past and present. Thank you for making the effort to meet up every now and then. Thank you for having me in your life.

1 comment:

  1. oh hello! did you just talk about me? :P I LOVE YOU TOO! Foie gras when I get back!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...