Sunday, January 04, 2009

Love is but a word...

Recently, I received 1 good and 1 bad news.

One of my good friend is getting hitched! I am so so so happy for her! She finally found a guy who is commited to making their relationship work for the rest of their lives. There's always something warm and fuzzy about weddings. I am so looking forward to her wedding. Hee. Yes, they may not have known each other for very long. But who says that time is an indication of the couple's love. I know of 2 couples who broke up after being together for like 8 years. Yes, 8 years! Can you imagine that.

Another good friend of mine is sadly, getting divorced. I won't get into the reason why. But the underlying reason is that the guy did something that totally shattered her trust in him. As friends, we try to dissuade her; divorce should always be the last option if nothing else works. But ultimately, the decision lies with her. What we can do is to offer her our opinions, and suggestions and advice. But I do understand where she's coming from. It's always easy to forgive, and almost impossible to forget.

We always (well I always) think that love conquers all when we were oh so young and oh so innocent, and oh so hopeful. Love at first sight do happen, and some do love happily ever after. But oh so often are break-ups and falling outs. Falling in love is one thing, staying in love is another. Why would people then break up after being together for 8 years? And then comes marriage, which is another issue altogether. It involves committment to each other and the offspring. It involves welcoming another group of people into your lives - the other family. Do not even get me started on how this is a tough tough situation to be in. External factors are but the deciding factors of how strong your committment is to each other, besides the prevailing love.

Personally, I only have 1 good friend who is going through a rough patch. But every now and then, I do hear of cases whereby marriages fail, and the love lost was absolutely the last thing on their minds. I wonder, in cases whereby the couples fail to make their marriage work, where did all their love go?

Come what may, I still choose to believe in love. And here are my 2 loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...