Tuesday, August 14, 2012

My First Hot Yoga

I decided it's time for a change and I head off to my very first yoga class today. More specifically, Bikram Hot Yoga.

There are currently 3 shops specializing in Bikram Hot Yoga in Singapore, and I decided on Bikram Yoga Harbourfront.

And it so happens that Bikram Yoga Harboufront was having this promotion at Groupon which entitles one to four 90 Minute sessions at just $25. I thought this was more suitable for me than the 10 day intro pass at $50.

For those who are yoga nerds like me, Bikram yoga is a 90 minutes class consisting of 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises. The sequence of the 26 postures was scientifically designed to work every muscle, ligament, tendon and joint in one's body.

I've always wanted to try this out, as it's said to allow one to burn calories up to 600 calories! Well, that's like running more than 10km for me!

And so I went, excited at the prospect of sweating it out, and nervous at the same time because it's my first yoga class, ever! For a beginner, you have to look at the person in front of you doing the postures and listen carefully to what the instructor is saying, because it's an instruction based class. I fumbled here and there, but could handle the postures mostly, though not efficiently of course. I always barely passed my sit and reach physical test in school.

Thankfully I survived the 90 minutes class. What I liked about the class besides the sweating it out, is the peace and quiet I get within. I can only focus on myself and the postures, because if I think about anything else, I will lose my blanace. It's all about me! I am looking forward to my 2nd class!

Add: 1 Maritime Square, #03-13/14 Harbourfront Centre, Singapore 099253
Tel: 6272 3900

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...