Thursday, February 21, 2013

Lasik, Finally!

I finally decided to take the plunge. Yes, I'm talking about going for Lasik.

It has been ages since Lasik was introduced, and I thought what better time to do it but now, since I'm done with the pregnant stages, the breastfeeding stages, and I need not keep my eyes (literally) on the girls anymore. Might as well go for corrective surgery than to go have my eyesight checked and get new lenses again. 

After checking with some friends and reading rave reviews on the internet, I decided to have my Lasik done at Eagle Eye Centre, located at Mount Alvernia. It was a crowded Thursday morning. 



I was advised to wear pants as I would be on the operating table. Those were the exact words the nurse told me when she called to confirm my apppointment. Hah!

It was just waiting and waiting the whole day. I reach around 10am. They had my cornea checked first to see if I'm suitable for Lasik; whether my cornea is thick enough. And then, they checked my eye sight before applying some drops to dilute the iris. After which, they checked my eye sight again. And then I was free to go for lunch and etc for 3-4 hours before the dilation wears off. 

Happy me before the whole process. My last photo with my glasses! 

The most nerve wrecking part was the surgery itself. They told me to go into the room where I had to put on a robe and a bathing cap. And then they put eye drops (general anesthetic) in my eyes to numb my eye area. Then I have to wait 3-5 minutes for the effect to kick in, and also for the current patient to be done. 

I was prepared for the slight burning smell (laser cutting) and the noise of the machine. But no matter how prepared I was, I was totally caught off caught when I see the blurred vision of what they were doing to my eye! I was told to keep my eye on the blinking green light no matter what. But it was kind of difficult to do that, especially when so much eye drops or liquid were dripped into my eyes even on the operating table. I could feel my whole body stiffen during the whole process. 

And finally the whole process was over in less than 5 minutes. Whew! These 2 photos below of me on the operating table and with my eye doctor Dr Theng were taken by the staff and given to me the next day when I returned for my follow up check up. 


And viola! Right after the surgery, my eyes were reddish. But I could see! I called dar and he came to pick me up. 

Back home, I had an uncomfortable 2 hours of dry itchy eyes 2 hours after my surgery. You know the feeling of sand getting caught in your eyes when you are wearing contact lenses? Yup, now multiply that by 100 times. I took some drowsy medicine nand make myself sleep for an hour. After I woke, it was all good. No more glasses!


Eagle Eye Centre (at Mount Alvernia Hospital)
Add: 820 Thomson Road, #02-11/17 Medical Centre Block B, Mount Alvernia Hospital, Singapore 574623
Tel: 6456 1000


2 comments:

  1. Hi there, I am trying to get an appointment for a first consultation at EEC. i've sent my application through their website about four days ago. How long do you have to wait until you received your first appointment? Is it better if I make a phone call? Since I have to fly out from Vienna, I need to arrange everything way in advance. Thank you for your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent website you have here: so much cool information!.. Yaldo Eye Center

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...