Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My one lurve: My Reads!

I lurve to read. I think this habit was kinda nurtured when I was young. My parents always bring us to the bookstore whenever we go out shopping. I remember that we always go to the then Orchard Yaohan, the now Plaza Singapura, to shop. And I would always ask them to bring me to the basement level of Yaohan where children's books are, or to Times bookshop at the 4th or 5th level. Hah.

Of course reads for study are not my favourite kind of books. I am talking about comics and novels. I lurve lurve lurve to read Slamdunk, until they came out with the cartoon television version. I bought the whole series of VCDs. I lurve to read The Archie comics, especially Betty and Veronica. FYI, I am still buying B&V. Yes. I will pass the entire collection to Kae when she's older. Hah!

I lurve Mitch Albom. His works was introduced to me by an ex-colleague long before his "Tuesdays with Morrie" became such a hit. I lurve Tony Parsons, especially his "Man and Boy". I lurve Tami Hoag, especially her "Night Sins" and "Guilty as Sin". And now my current favourite is Jodi Picoult.

After reading Jodi Picoult's "My Sister's Keeper", there was no turning back for me. I went and bought more of her books. See, I lurve to buy books. I do not like to borrow books. So whichever author I grow to lurve, their collection of books will start to grow in my bookshelf too.

So today, one of my bi-weekly off days when my parents will come over and cover my ass, I went to Pacific Coffee at Vivocity to finish reading Jodi Picoult's "Handle With Care". This book *explores the knotty tangle of medical ethics and personal morality. When faced with the reality of a fetus who will be disabled, at which point should an OB counsel termination? Should a parent have the right to make that choice? How disabled is TOO disabled? And as a parent, how far would you go to take care of someone you love? Would you alienate the rest of your family? Would you be willing to lie to your friends, to your spouse, to a court? And perhaps most difficult of all – would you admit to yourself that you might not actually be lying?*

Seriously, go pick up one of Jodi Picoult's books if you are a novel lover. You will be itching for more. I am itching now. Hah!


* This whole extract was taken from www.jodipicoult.com *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...