Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Nam Nam and Violet Oon's

It's a Tuesday! And my birthday week! Haha! 

Met dar for lunch at Orchard today. And we took the opportunity to eat at Nam Nam Noodle Bar. I was really looking forward to try the food as there is always a super long queue outside the branches at meal times.

The tables were all decked with the different sauces and condiments, which had labels in vietnam language. Duh. How are the customers supposed to know what sauce is for which dish then?


As we didn't know what was good, we just went ahead and ordered their set lunch, which was a good deal. A rice roll, a bowl of pho, and a cup of drink for just $9.90. 


First, their rice roll. I didn't like this at all. 


Their pho. We both ordered the beef version. And still, I wasn't impressed. Their beef slices were average, the soup was alright too. But maybe it was because I went with such great expectations, the pho just didn't have the oomph factor i was looking for. 


And their coffee was alright I guess. Not the typical kind of Vietnamese coffee I was expecting.

Overall, I think the food was just average. This is just my own humble opinion. But does average food warrant such a long queue? Or is the main attraction just their attractive set menu prices? 

I will skip their noodles and try their bread the next round.


Nam Nam Noodle Bar (Wheelock Place branch)
Add: 501 Orchard Road, #B2-02 Wheelock Place, Singapore 238880
Tel: 6735 1488

~~~~~

We decided to head to Violet Oon's Kitchen for dinner. Because my parents are with my girls today and it'll be a 50% off the meal for just dar and I if we order a minimum of 2 main course using the Amex Card under the Palate programme.


The food was fantastic! Seriously! Dar loved his Babi Pong Tay, which is a belly of pork slow braised with dried mushrooms and bamboo shoots. Simply rich in flavor, and yet, not too heavy on the stomach at the same time.

I loved their Dry Mee Siam, which is simply fresh rice noodles fried with chilli sambal.

And I simply loved their sambal belachan, which tastes exactly like the ones my Por Por used to make when she was alive. I just can't get enough of their hot stuff that I savored each spoon of food with the spicy goodness!

Besides the main courses, we also ordered their Auntie Nanny's Crispy Ayam Goreng to share as a starter. Finger licking good.

Their food was so good that we decided to order a dessert to share at the last minute to round up the glorious meal. And we were not disappointed. Their Bubor Cha Cha Panna Cotta just blew me away. 

We shared a bottle of Japanese imported beer to drown away the rich flavors of dinner.

A must go to eat restaurant if you haven't been there before. And with the Amex card under the Palate programme, it's definitely value for money. I will return for more definitely!



Add: 881 Bukit Timah Road, Bukit Timah, Singapore 279893
Tel: 6468 5430


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...